Do you want to:
- Be as strong and balanced as possible to carry the pregnancy?
- Give your baby a better chance of being in the optimal position for birthing?
- Assure optimal biomechanics of the hips and spine in hope of decreasing labour time & reducing the need for intervention during the birth process?
- Reduce aches and pains associated with an increased load on your body?
Pregnant mothers do everything they can for their unborn child.
One thing not many mothers know about is that having a balanced spine and pelvis can increase the chances of your baby being born without intervention, as well as help you feel a lot more comfortable during pregnancy.
- 75% of pregnant patients who received chiropractic care during their pregnancies stated that they found relief from pain. (1) (6)
- A review of statistics reported that primigravida women who seek chiropractic care throughout gestation have a 25% shorter labour time and multiparous women who seek chiropractic care throughout their pregnancy have a 31% shorter labour time. (2)(3)
- A breech presentation may be the result of intrauterine constraint. There is a specific chiropractic adjustment called the Webster Technique that has been reported by chiropractors who use it to correct potential musculoskeletal causes of intrauterine constraint. (4) The chiropractor’s role in breech presentation is to balance the pelvis and corresponding muscles and ligaments to remove the constraint to the patient’s uterus to allow the fetus to assume the correct presenting position.(5)
- Continued chiropractic care after birth may also be beneficial in assisting proper restoration of normal spinal biomechanics. (7)
(1) Shaw G. When to adjust: chiropractic and pregnancy. J Am Chiropr Assoc. 2003;40(11):8–16.
(2) J.M. Fallon. Textbook on chiropractic & pregnancy. Arlington, VA: International Chiropractic Association; 1994: 52, 109.
(3) Fallon J.M. Chiropractic and pregnancy: a partnership for the future. ICA Int Rev Chiropr. 1990;46(6):39–42.
(4) Pistolese R.A. The Webster Technique: a chiropractic technique with obstetric implications. J Manip Physiol Ther. 2002;25(6):e1–e9.
(5) Ohm J. Chiropractors and midwives: a look at the Webster Technique. Midwifery Today. 2001;58:42.
(6) Lisi A.J. Chiropractic spinal manipulation for low back pain of pregnancy: a retrospective case series. J Midwifery Women’s Health. 2006;51(1):e7–e10.
(7) Chalker H.M. Spinal compensation of pregnancy. Am Chiropr. 1993;15(3):23–26.
Safe methods for pregnancy
Our Chiropractors can safely work with you any stage of your pregnancy, they have post-graduate training in specialised pregnancy techniques, including the Webster Technique (helpful with Breech babies) and Sacro-Occipital Technique
Read more about Chiropractic & Pregnancy
FAQs about Chiropractic & Pregnancy
What does research say about Chiropractic and Childbirth?
By maintaining proper pelvis and spinal alignment and function with Chiropractic care, research has shown a 24% reduction in labour time for first-time mothers, and 39% reduction for experienced mothers. Another study found that patients who incorporated chiropractic adjustments during their pregnancy had a 50% decrease in the need for painkillers during delivery.
Why do pregnant women often get back pain?
The major changes during pregnancy include a shift in weight bearing and movement patterns, which place extra pressure on the spine, muscles and other soft tissues of the body. It’s no wonder that approximately 50% of pregnant women experience significant levels of back or pelvic pain during their pregnancy. Thankfully, chiropractic care has been shown to help relieve these symptoms in up to 85% of pregnant women, eliminating the need for pain-relief medication that may not be ideal for baby’s health.
Chiropractic Balance Resources
Check out our relevant resources to help support your health & recovery
Pregnancy is an exciting time full of amazing changes. It is also a time when women put a lot of focus and effort [...]
May 7, 2018
New Zealand research suggests that pregnant women under chiropractic care may be more likely to have a natural [...]
May 15, 2016
Chiropractic Balance Help Centre
Please select the appropriate symptom so we can start helping
you as quickly as possible
Make a Booking
Save time, and book online today to see one of our Chiropractors
Welcome to Chiropractic Balance
To get started, either book an appointment through our online system, or send us a message and we’ll contact you
Welcome back to Chiropractic Balance
Thanks for coming back! Since we’ve got a record of your details, it’s even easier for you to make your next booking
Please note that you cannot change existing bookings online. To cancel or change an existing booking, give us a call.